10 Great Ideas for New Dad’s in London
If you’re living in London and have just become a new father you may be wondering what services and activities there are for you and your ‘mini-me’. When a new baby enters the family, the focus is often put on the new mother and how she is coping, but what about you?
- Dad’s and Littl’un’s made headlines by becoming one of the first parent and baby groups for new dads in London. Although parent and baby groups have been around for decades, they are female dominated and any man choosing to attend is usually the only man in the room. This can feel awkward and polarizing. At Dad’s and Littl’un’s you can socialise with other fathers and don’t have to explain why you’re out and about with your baby. Groups are held in Wimbledon, Brockwell Park, south London and Exeter.
- The NCT also have a network of groups designed for dads and their children. Including various stay and play sessions, outings and courses. If you’re a sporty person and enjoy cycling there is The DUCK CC Dad’s Cycle Group where you can meet others and go on a family cycle together every second Sunday of the month.
- Want to talk to other dad’s online without being swapped by mothers? The Dad Networkoffers an online chat room for dads only. If you join their mailing list you’ll also get regular dad blog posts and other resources for dads.
- If religion is a bit part of your life and you want to raise your child in your faith, you may be interested in attending a church-based father and toddler group? Who Let the Dad’s Out? Is a Christian based organisation that runs father and baby groups in church halls. There are two faith oriented dad groups located in Peckham and Enfield. There are also others in the surrounding areas of Surrey.
- If you’re a full time ‘home dad’, you work part-time or you’re in full time employment but you want to hang out with other dads and go on fun day trips with your kids, you can join South East London Dads, a support network for dads in London. South East London Dads can help you through your partner’s pregnancy, infancy and the early years up to school age.
- If you’d like to teach your baby to swim, you can take him to baby swimming classes. Turtle Tots run swimming lessons for babies and toddlers. While not strictly just for dads, the classes do welcome dads too.
- Do you think baby massage group is just for mums? Well, now there is a baby massage group just for dads. The Yoga Place runs workshops for dads on how to give baby massage to improve bonding, encourage relaxation and help sooth minor discomfort, such as colic.
- For dad and toddler groups, kid friendly fun activities and the chance to meet up socially with other dads when you haven’t got the kids, The Dads Club London provides playgroups and grown-up meet ups for dads in the Highgate, East Finchley and the Muswell Hill area of London.
- Does your toddler love animals? If so, you could have a day out at Stepney City Farm, a working farm that brings nature to children living in the East End of London. The farm is entirely free to visit and your little one can meet the farm animals, learn about growing food or have a go at crafts.
- Becoming a dad gives you an excuse to play with toys again. To re-live your childhood and spoil your tot, why not head down to Hamleys?